Monday, June 20, 2005

Fallen Warrior

I know it has been almost exactly one month since I've written and I apologize. Things have been quite busy here, lots of changes with 5th CAG.

First, I am sad to report that, shortly after my last message to you, a fellow Marine in the CAG was killed in action. Maj Ric Crocker's death stunned us all, for he was truly a mountain of a man, one seemingly untouchable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Marine+Maj+Ricardo+Crocker

Maj Ric Crocker - KIA 26 May 05

As you will no doubt be able to tell from reading the news accounts and testimonials from those who knew him, Ric was selfless, dedicated, tactically proficient ... all those words and phrases we so often read about in books or learn about at OCS or TBS. Ric was all that and more. While I only knew him for a short time, I, like others, am better for having known him.

To be honest, Ric's death is part of the reason I haven't written. I've been straightforward with you all up to this point, and I really struggled with whether or not I should write to you about what happened. I just didn't know how to explain all the feelings and loss we all feel – still don't... not to mention that I don't want any of you to worry any more than you already do.

At any rate, we have dealt with it, had the memorial services, and are moving on. Not to be trite, but it's what he would expect of us.